Re: Plugin API Comments (was Re: GCC Plug-in Framework ready to port)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Taras Glek wrote:

> Regarding versions: I think it's crazy to be passing a version in every single
> function call. The plugin should check  the gcc version it is being loaded
> into on startup and bail if it doesn't match.

I agree with checking once at startup, but that should be GCC's job, not
the plugin's.  The plugin should export the exact version string and
target triplet (and maybe configure options) of the compiler it was built
to be plugged into (the configure macros / build support provided for use
of plugins should make this automatic).  GCC should check these at
startup.

(OK, there's not much difference between GCC checking data automatically
exported from a plugin and the build support code automatically putting
checks in the plugin itself, but I think having the checks in GCC is safer
for ensuring they are always done.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com