Re: gcc binary download

Ben Elliston wrote:
>> I cannot find where to download gcc binary for Linux. Can you email me
>> the link? It's so confusing in the http://gcc.gnu.org/ web site.
>
> You should install gcc from your Linux distribution.  It will be far
> easier.

To add: There are no binaries of GCC released by the GCC project or the
FSF. Thus it is best to stick to the GCC packages which come with your
Linux version. If you need newer versions, you could consider updating
your Linux or try to find newer builds on some build server, which some
Linux distributions have.

Otherwise, you could consider building GCC yourself, cf.
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/. (Furthermore, some gfortran developers
offer regular GCC builds, which are linked at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries; those are all unofficial
builds, come without any warrantee/support, and due to, e.g., library
issues they may not work on your system.)

Unless you need a newer version because of some new feature or because
of a fixed bug, I would stay with the GCC of the Linux distribution and
- if needed be - I would update the installed Linux.

Tobias