Defining a common plugin machinery

After the FSF gives final approval on the plugin feature, we will need
to coordinate towards one common plugin interface for GCC. I don't think we should be adding two different and incompatible plugin harnesses.

I am CCing everyone who I know is working on plugin features. Apologies if I missed anyone.

I would like to start by understanding what the plugin API should have. What features do we want to support? What should we export? What should be the user interface to incorporate plugin code? At what point in the compilation stage should it kick in?

Once we define a common API and then we can take the implementation from the existing branches. Perhaps create a common branch? I would also like to understand what the status and features of the different branches is.

If it would help to have a conference call or IRC meeting, I can set one up for all the parties interested. But first, I would like to hash the main issues on the lists.

Thanks. Diego.