pretty printing trends and questions

Hello All,

I am correct in assuming that pretty printing & debug dumping in GCC tend to go thru the pretty printer abstraction of gcc/pretty-printer.h hence that the old way of printing directly to a file (like e.g. dump_bb or debug_bb in gcc/cfg.c for printing basic_block-s) is deprecated, or is it the other way round (that using pretty-printer.h is deprecated in favor of routines with a FILE* argument)?

Also (I asked on #gcc chat), I do not understand what code is supposed to free the memory allocated with
pp->buffer = XCNEW (output_buffer);
in function pp_construct of gcc/pretty-print.c. I'm supposing that this code is for debugging only, and a tiny memory leak does not matter in that case.

At last, I added (in a quick & dirty way, not tested a lot) a variant to be able to pretty print into a buffer (actually, thru any flushing routine) into the MELT branch.

void
pp_construct_routdata (pretty_printer *pp, const char *prefix, int maximum_length, void (*flushrout)(const char*,void*), void *flushdata)

I would like to avoid using fmemopen; it seems very GNU GLIBC specific...

To Ian Taylor (and other C++ heroes) I suppose all the prettyprinting code is supposed to be replaced by some ostream trick in the C++ branch.

Regards.