Re: broken FE diagnostics wrt complex expressions

> There are various issues that would need to be addressed to have
> decent caret diagnostics:

Agreed.  I think having caret diagnostics in place is a good first step,
if only because it'll make debugging of column diagnostics easier.
After this, we can modify the testsuite machinery to test column
accuracy, and have a suite of tests to work from.  I'm not sure whether
it's best to teach testsuite/lib/*.exp about carets, or just test for
:columns:.

Anyway, I think it'll be useful to clean up whatever needs cleaning in
your patch, test it, and formally submit it.  Do you need help testing
it?  What remains to be done?

FWIW, I agree with Joseph that -Wcaret would be better than a configure
option.

Aldy