Re: GCC/GCJ, SWT, and license lock-in

Steve Perkins wrote:
>> You couldn't do that. However, libgcj carries with it an exception that
>> allows you to link non-GPL code. Look at the license for more details.
>
>    Can you perhaps elaborate?  No offense, but I think the original
> message makes clear that "looking at the licenses for more details" was
> the first step I took before writing.

The licence is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Nothing I say can make any difference.

>    I'm not really concerned about libgcj imposing terms on compiler
> output (I knew about the linking exception, just didn't know if that was
> dropped in the move from GPL v2 to v3).  What I asked about was
> voluntarily applying the GPL to my own new application.

I think that depends on whether your work would be considered a derivative
work of Eclipse code.  I can't comment on that.

> That
> application links to a library under a different license, which does not
> require linking applications to adopt its license.  If I were doing
> something that required that other license to be applied to the whole,
> then I would clearly run into a conflict trying to apply it and the GPL
> to the whole simultaneously.  However, since I'm not required to apply
> that other license to my own code, I don't see any conflict in using the
> GPL for this new work.
>
>    Is there something you have in mind that I'm missing there?

It seems to me that you're seeking legal advice from people who aren't
lawyers.  We don't know, really: maybe FSF legal can help.

Andrew.