GCC/GCJ, SWT, and license lock-in

I have a question about using GCC/GCJ to compile a Java application which uses the SWT framework for its GUI, and whether this locks you in or out of any licensing options. I apologize in advance if this question is somewhat off-topic... I searched "gnu.org" for a mailing list specifically directed toward licensing discussion and came up empty.

The SWT is covered by the Eclipse Public License (EPL), which does not bind you to use the EPL for programs which merely link to SWT without modifying it (Question #27 at http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php#DERIV).

However, the FSF considers the EPL to be incompatible with the GPL. I'm not sure what impact (if any) this would have on my desire to write a GPL'ed application from scratch, which links to SWT for its GUI.

I know that writing a *non*-GPL'ed application, and linking it to GPL'ed code, creates problems (e.g. the Cygwin DLL dependency issue on Windows). This is because the GPL requires you to use the GPL for works linking to GPL'ed code, even if you aren't modifying that GPL'ed code. However, it seems that this issue would not arise when going in the other direction... applying the GPL to new code, which links to libraries using non-restrictive licenses.

Now, if I were also making modifications to the SWT as part of this work, then the EPL would be imposed upon the whole... and then I would clearly run into a clash between the GPL and EPL. However, since I am not modifying SWT, the EPL does not require me to impose its terms on the whole... so it appears that I would be free to apply the GPL on my non-derivative new code. On its face, there doesn't appear to be a licensing problem with applying the GPL to a new application which uses non-modified SWT.

This seems fairly intuitive to me, but I wanted to bounce it off the GCC community to see if I'm overlooking any potential issues. For example, I'm not sure if GCC's recent migration from GPL 2 to GPL 3 has had any effect of imposing license terms on executables compiled with GCC/GCJ.