Re: Feature request - a macro defined for GCC

I think an important point was missed in the discussion.  Some seem to focus on the dishonest definition of __GNUC__ by non-GNU C compilers.  That was not my point.  My point is that if __GNUC__ is defined by CPP, not the GNU C compiler proper, (and this seems to be supported by the CPP Manual,) and any (non-GNU) C compiler can use CPP, then those non-GNU C compilers would "inadverdently" define __GNUC__ and lead people to believe that they are GNU C.  That is why I think the GNU C compiler should define a macro independently from CPP.  Or, alternatively, __GNUC__ should be defined by the GCC compiler proper, not CPP.
The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world?
http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_ChangeWorld