This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
- From: Michael Meissner <michael dot meissner at amd dot com>
- To: Stephen Andieta <andietas at yahoo dot com>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:44:30 -0400
- Subject: Re: How to reserve an Elf e_machine value
- References: <999208.81909.qm@web46315.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 08:46:44AM -0700, Stephen Andieta wrote:
>
> I am working on a compiler kit for an in-house processor that uses Elf as
> object file format. Since this compiler will be released to external
> customers, I need to reserve an 'official' e_machine value for this
> processor. Somehow I am unable to find out how to reserve such a value. How
> should I do this?
> ? Thanks, ? Stephen.
This is a binutils problem, not a GCC.
The problem is the company that assigns the official numbers (SCO) is rapidily
spinning out of control, and may not be responsive any more. When I registered
EM_MEP in 2003, the address used was registry@caldera.com.
If you can't get an official number, there is this comment in elf/common.h:
/* If it is necessary to assign new unofficial EM_* values, please pick large
random numbers (0x8523, 0xa7f2, etc.) to minimize the chances of collision
with official or non-GNU unofficial values.
NOTE: Do not just increment the most recent number by one.
Somebody else somewhere will do exactly the same thing, and you
will have a collision. Instead, pick a random number.
Normally, each entity or maintainer responsible for a machine with an
unofficial e_machine number should eventually ask registry@caldera.com for
an officially blessed number to be added to the list above. */
--
Michael Meissner, AMD
90 Central Street, MS 83-29, Boxborough, MA, 01719, USA
michael.meissner@amd.com