Re: GCC 4.3 license in manual still under GPLv2

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, Mark Mitchell wrote:

> Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, qunying wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have the impression that GCC 4.3.0 has updated to GPLv3. But
> > > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.3.0/gcc/Copying.html still using
> > > GPLv2.
> > > Does it need to be updated?
> >
> > I pointed out <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2007-07/msg00609.html> that
> > the manual should be updated and that GCC's gpl.texi is not a direct copy of
> > the file from the FSF but has local Texinfo changes.
>
> In that message, you suggest that we need the local changes in order to
> generate a gpl.7 manual page.  But, why do we need such a manual page? What
> would be the adverse consequences of just replacing our gpl.texi with the FSF
> GPLv3 version?

The manual page is needed to follow the instructions from the FSF about
how to handle invariant sections in the manual when a subset of the manual
is made into a manpage <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2001-11/msg00311.html>.

Even without invariant sections, such changes to fdl.texi would continue
to be needed to include a copy of the GFDL in the manpages (though maybe
the next GFDL revision, which is supposed to bring some form of Creative
Commons compatibility, will remove the need for a copy in the set of
manpages, in which case such changes wouldn't need bringing forward to a
new fdl.texi version).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com