Re: RFC: adding knowledge of the int_fastN_t types to the compiler

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, FX Coudert wrote:

> Fortran requires that a negative value be returned if the "int_fastN_t type
> isn't defined in the companion C compiler" (quoting from memory). Thus, of the
> three cases:

The "fast" and "least" types for 8, 16, 32, 64 are always present,
according to C99; only the exact-width types may not be present (and
intptr_t/uintptr_t), if there is no type with those properties.

>  1. on targets that do have int_fastN_t types defined, we register the
> information in the compiler (for Fortran, but maybe other uses) but don't
> override stdint.h

There are targets with at least some of the types in <inttypes.h> but no
<stdint.h>, e.g. some Solaris versions; clearly we should provide stdint.h
there.

We can have appropriate C testcases that at least make sure that the
compiler's internal definitions are consistent with those from <stdint.h>
and <inttypes.h> and with the macros defined for limits and constants.
These would show up buggy system <stdint.h> for fixincluding on targets
where we don't install our own.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com