Re: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag

H.J. Lu wrote:

Not a fix, an (optional) workaround for a system bug.

So that is the bug in the Linux kernel. Since fixing kernel is much easier than providing a workaround in compilers, I think kernel should be fixed and no need for icc/gcc fix.

The problem is, you're going to have to be able to produce binaries compatible with old kernels for a *long* time for come. Are you honestly saying you'll tell those people "use gcc 4.2 or earlier"? If so, I think most distros will have to freeze gcc for the next several years.

-hpa