Re: Possible GCC 4.3 driver regression caused by your patch

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:11:30AM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 2008, Greg Schafer wrote:
> > Hi Carlos and Mark,
> >
> > Your "Relocated compiler should not look in $prefix" patch here:
> >
> > http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-10/msg00280.html
> >
> > appears to have caused a regression in my GCC 4.3 testing.
>
> So *now* I know why my cross-test setup to (non-sysrooted)
> cris-axis-linux-gnu have trouble finding startfiles and
> pre-installed include files!  Thanks!  It seems Carlos' fix for
> the testsuite, has some flaw I'll look into.  At the very least,
> cutnpasting commands from the dejagnu .log files don't work;
> there's some environment variable (more than just
> GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, AFAICT).  And some testsuites (forgot, maybe it
> was libgomp?) need to be adjusted too.

On a related note, this patch has also caused a testsuite regression for me
as evidenced by:

WARNING: Could not compile g++.dg/compat/struct-layout-1 generator
WARNING: Could not compile gcc.dg/compat/struct-layout-1 generator

My context is building up a new system inside a chroot whereby I'm
configuring GCC with --prefix=/usr but the "host" GCC is in some other
prefix. The patch tries to fix the testsuite infrastructure by adding
"set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX \"$(libdir)/gcc/\"" to site.exp. But in my scenario,
this results in:

gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory

when trying to build the generator programs. Ughh..

This patch has caused regressions for me and others. There must be a way to
keep relocated compilers happy and ALSO not break existing setups that have
been working for many years.. I'll file a PR.

Thanks
Greg