This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH][4.3] Deprecate -ftrapv
- From: Paolo Bonzini <bonzini at gnu dot org>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:54:28 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][4.3] Deprecate -ftrapv
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org> <47C8B7F3.email@example.com>
Seems a pity, this feature is really needed for Ada, which requires
efficient overflow checking for signed arithmetic, and it seems
useful for C, where signed overflow is undefined, and it would be
nice to enable trapping.
Right now, Ada uses really horrible double length arithmetic to
It's not the only way to do it though, and it's best to reimplement
-ftrapv in terms of GIMPLE.
I'm for deprecating -ftrapv and reimplementing it. I could mentor a
GSOC project for reimplementation of -ftrapv.