This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH][4.3] Deprecate -ftrapv
- From: Robert Dewar <dewar at adacore dot com>
- To: Richard Guenther <rguenther at suse dot de>
- Cc: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, mark at codesourcery dot com
- Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:57:07 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][4.3] Deprecate -ftrapv
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Richard Guenther wrote:
This is a request to depcrecate -ftrapv which has numerous problems
making it not work as expected since a long time. As nobody seems
to have the energy to ensure it is working I propose to deprecate it
for GCC 4.3 to make it possible to remove it during 4.4 (and not
block removing libcall notes by it).
Seems a pity, this feature is really needed for Ada, which requires
efficient overflow checking for signed arithmetic, and it seems
useful for C, where signed overflow is undefined, and it would be
nice to enable trapping.
Right now, Ada uses really horrible double length arithmetic to
So I would hestitate to deprecate it so quickly