Re: RFC: GCC 4.4 criteria - add Fortran as primary language?

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 06:29:20PM -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> I think Fortran is way down the list.  That's not about how good of a
> language Fortran is, or how solid the Fortran front-end is; it's just a
> comment about usage of GCC.
>
> That said, I think that the RMs do -- and should -- pay attention to
> Fortran.  I just think that the statement that only C and C++
> regressions are release-critical is important.

Just because something isn't release-critical doesn't mean it isn't going
to be fixed.  Think of releases as trains.  We hold the train departure
only for release-critical bugs, but that doesn't prevent non-release-critical
bug fixes from catching the next train.  This works when we know that
there will be an x.y.1 and an x.y.2 at reasonable intervals.