Re: Plugin Branch

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:45:13AM +1100, Brendon Costa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been away from the GCC mailing list for a while. I searched the
> archives but could not find a resolution to the issue of inclusion of
> plugins to GCC.
>
> Has it been decided if the GCC plugin branch will be added to GCC or not?

RMS is currently opposed to it.  That doesn't mean that it will *never*
happen, but it's a blocker.

> I am not after a discussion on the merits/issues of doing so as that
> has been covered previously, just wondering if an official decision
> has been made?

Nothing final has been decided.  There are some efforts under way of
finding ways to reassure RMS that it's possible to do plugins in a way
that doesn't open the door to unrestricted use of gcc internals by
proprietary compilers, so it would be counterproductive right now for
everyone to yell at RMS.  It would be even more counterproductive to
start an argument on this list, since the main decision-maker doesn't
read it.  Sorry about that.