Re: [RFC] WHOPR - A whole program optimizer framework for GCC

On Dec 19, 2007 5:19 PM, Tim Josling <tejgcc@westnet.com.au> wrote:

> This means passing over a file. So I would like to understand how to
> avoid getting into political/legal trouble when doing this.

Passing over a file in what format?  If you are writing a COBOL to C
translator, that will certainly be fine.  If you are emitting GENERIC
or GIMPLE, you are much better off implementing your FE like any other
GCC FE.  Fortran is a good example of an FE that is totally
independent from the rest of GCC.  It hands out a GENERIC
representation built out of its internal data structures.

Otherwise, you will need to translate to GIMPLE, stream it out from
the COBOL FE and feed it into the LTO FE.

Diego.