Re: Git and GCC

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 21:23 +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:

> Daniel> So I tried a full history conversion using git-svn of the gcc
> Daniel> repository (IE every trunk revision from 1-HEAD as of
> Daniel> yesterday) The git-svn import was done using repacks every
> Daniel> 1000 revisions.  After it finished, I used git-gc --aggressive
> Daniel> --prune.  Two hours later, it finished.  The final size after
> Daniel> this is 1.5 gig for all of the history of gcc for just trunk.
>
> Most of the space is probably taken by the SVN specific data. To get
> an idea of how GIT would handle GCC data, you should clone the GIT
> directory or checkout one from infradead.org:
>
>   % git clone git://git.infradead.org/gcc.git

Actually I went through and created the basis for that repo.  It
contains all branches and tags in the gcc svn repo and the final
pack comes to about 600M.  This has _everything_, not just trunk.

For the first time after doing such an import, I found it much better
to do git repack -a -f --depth=100 --window=100.  After that initial
repack a plain git-gc occasionally will be just fine.

If you want any more information about this, let me know.

CHeers,

Harvey