Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages

>> Without digging in the mailing-list archives to see why you made
>> the change, if something new breaks on a STABS platform I will have
>> no hint that this change was in any way related to STABS.

Eric> But this change has nothing to do with STABS. :-)

Sure, but as you explained yourself in the message I cited, the reason
to do this change was because of a problem in STABS info generation :)

Eric> Well, any changes in the compiler can potentially introduce bugs
Eric> elsewhere and I suppose that you aren't proposing to mention all
Eric> the known dependencies in the commit message.

Of course not, but when such a dependency is the reason you make a
change in the first place, I think it ought to be mentionned. If the
chance caused a regression on an obscure platform using some barely
used debugging format, this could give a hint of where to look (STABS
for example) to see how it is done there and if bogus assumptions were
made about the previous behaviour.

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/