Re: GCC 4.3 release schedule

> The only problem, is that anyone doing stage 1 work is already doing
> so in a  branch, and history (at least as I remember it :-) is that
> if little johnny doesn't have a pressing need for the current
> release, he will simply keep plugging along on his branch until stage
> 1 happens, whether its 2 weeks away or 3 months.

Ahhh... but you show the way to induce participation here:

> But yes, Id still be in favour of trying this or anything else which
> might help. Cut a release branch, and simply refuse to open stage 1
> until we release. Something has to help.  Often there is a race for
> merging branches when stage 1 opens (the earlier you merge, the
> easier it is). Maybe we can have a short stage 0.9 for merging of
> branches/work to mainline for those that contributed to getting the
> release out. Maybe that would help too, but then you'd have to define
> "contribution" :-).

This 0.9 stage idea is golden.

Why don't we just straight out rank bugs closed to merge priority? Most
bugs fixed means first merge in stage one, period. Second higest # of
bugs fixed means second merge, etc etc.

That really aligns things correctly!

-benjamin