Re: RFC: Creating a live, all-encompassing architectural document for GCC

On 10/26/07, Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> Maybe a possible approach would be to use literate programming
> techniques; By previous experience (still limited), I would believe that
> it would be more worthwhile on the interface files (ie the *.h files,
> some *.opt, etc...) than on the implementation files (*.c)

Pragmatically, we need to do this without forcing such structural
changes to the implementation.  Moving GCC to another language is
another problem that I'd like to keep separate from this.

> All this is more a social issue than anything else. We developers don't
> like documenting our work (and this is sadly true for me too!)

Agreed.  The documentation mechanism ultimately needs to be easy to
improve.  It will always be incomplete and imperfect.  I simply want
to make it less so.

> (Diego, I am busy preparing the basilys branch, see my GCC summit paper).

Good to hear.  Thanks.