Re: recent troubles with float vectors & bitwise ops

"The types defined in this manner can be used with a subset of
normal C operations. Currently, GCC will allow using the following
operators on these types: +, -, *, /, unary minus, ^, |, &, ~.".
What was missing is "when allowed by the base type".  E.g. >> is not
supported.

I think we should revert the patch, and continue permitting the bitwise operations on vector float.

There seem to be solid reasons to permit this, and no very strong ones
to prohibit it.

I'm not sure. I think it's better if we improve the compiler to generate better code for the version with casts. So we get no pessimization, and better typechecking.

I think that, in an ideal world, intrinsics would be implemented using the generic vector extensions, and they would generic as good code as with builtins -- better because of simplifications that can be done after inlining. We should move towards that direction.

Paolo