Re: Creating gcc-newbies mailing list

On 7/26/07, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:

The purpose of this list is to attract and help new GCC developers who
might feel lost and intimidated by the more arcane traffic at gcc and
gcc-patches.  In this list, no question regarding GCC development should
be considered offtopic nor treated with "RTFM" responses.

I think this is the wrong aproach. I have not seen any "RTFM" response for questions of developing of GCC on the gcc@ list. I think it is wrong to seerate newbies questions from normal development questions because some of other developers might not want to join that list just to answer questions and then learn that a question was being discussed on that list already.

Also I think it was wrong to ask first on the overseers mailing list
to create this list before discussing the pros/cons about the list.

Or maybe this is not a good idea, but I have certainly seen some folks
that complain about our less than friendly practices.

Most of those are due to offtopic questions in the first place. If you look at the recent thread about libelf, well that was offtopic but it became unfriendly really after a person continued the thread after being asked once nicely to take the thread to the libelf mailing lists.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski