Re: gcc for Intel 8086 family

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 04:41:50PM +0200, Indu Bhagat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to study 16-bit binaries (Intel based architecture) for
> research purposes.I will appreciate if someone could let me know some
> details of the project on "Porting GCC to Intel 16-bit architecture".
> Particularly,
>
> 1) Support level : few words on the unsupported stuff and basic
> assumptions that the source code must satisfy.

   Profiling is not supported. Constructors and destructors are not working
(yet). There is only a crude simulator setup for 32-bit Linux/x86.
Code+data+stack is limited to 64 kB, but can relatively easily be increased
to 64 kB code + 64 kB data+stack.

> 2) Public Use : Has some version been released for public use?

   No. I will submit it no later than next week[1] if nothing unforseen
happens.

> Digging through the archives, I found some links which I presume do
> not reflect the updated information
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/16bit/gcc/ .Any information on the same
> would be of great help.

   That is another 16-bit x86 attempt. There is mention of a third one on
the list: <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-12/msg00642.html>.

[1] I.e. Sunday, 29th July 23:59:59 in the westmost time zone. :-)

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen