Re: Host/Target confusion in Dwarf output

Mike Stump wrote:
On Jul 12, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Michael Eager wrote:
I was looking through dwarf2out.c, tracking down the
cause for different assembly code being generated
when gcc was run on 32-bit and 64-bit hosts.

When QAing, it is very useful to be able to compare two .s files. This means that we should strive for them being bit identical.

Does that mean we should do tons of work to make that happen, no, or waste tons of compile time to make that happen, no. But, if at all possible and reasonable to do, we should do it. For the harder cases, just think of a long term strategy to make it work, and try and socialize that direction to go in.

Agreed. I probably wouldn't have noticed the differences if they didn't cause the compile to fail. If the differences were benign, as I first though, I probably would have shrugged, said "that's not good", and continued on.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077