This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: RFH: GPLv3
- From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at cs dot tamu dot edu>
- To: Mark Mitchell <mark at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: GCC <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: 12 Jul 2007 04:37:20 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFH: GPLv3
- References: <4695B50B.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Mark Mitchell <email@example.com> writes:
| The GCC SC is still discussing a few of the finer points of the
| transition to GPLv3.
Thanks for the update!
| 3. After GCC 4.2.1 is released, we will renumber the branch to GCC 4.3.
| What would have been GCC 4.2.2 will instead be GCC 4.3.3, to try to
| emphasize the GPLv3 switch. The GCC mainline will then be GCC 4.4.
What a mess! (Sorry). Was the option of closing the GCC-4.2.x branch
considered, instead of releasing GCC-4.2.2 as GCC-4.3.2?
| It has also not yet been decided whether backports of bug-fixes from
| GPLv3 versions of GCC to older GPLv2 versions of GCC (e.g., GCC 4.1)
We can make a final release from GCC-4.1.x and close it definitely.
We should strive for some kind of mononiticy in terms of release
series and licensing.