Re: I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable (union members and ctors)

Martin Jambor wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 06:16:03PM -0700, michael.a wrote:
>>
>> Any advice on compiling gcc? That is the chicken and egg problem. If I
>> install a binary version of GCC, then use it to build and install a
>> custom
>> GCC (which I want to become the system wide GCC) ...then how is this
>> commonly done? --of course I would like the non custom GCC to do any
>> future
>> rebuilds, so that is to say, I don't want the custom GCC installing over
>> the
>> initial "bootstrap" GCC (if this makes any sense at this point:)
>
> I  believe that  what you  want to  do at  this stage  is use  the GCC
> version that comes with your  distribution to compile and install your
> custom  patched GCC  that you  configure with  some  unique "--prefix"
> directory  (in your  home,  for  example) and  hack  the configure  or
> Makefile files of  the project you want to compile with  it to use the
> compiler in that directory.
>
> The --disable-bootstrap  configure option may also be  handy until you
> get the compiler right.
>
> I   think  that   reading   through  http://gcc.gnu.org/install/   and
> especially  http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html may  save  you a
> lot of questions and experiments, it certainly helped to set me up not
> so long time ago.
>
> HTH
>
> Martin

I appreciate the advice. I think what I decided should be done, is I should
hack in a command line option that can be used as a conditional, so that way
GCC can be compiled with all of its functionality, so that it can faithfully
recompile itself, and I can just add that option in the make routines.

I went to compile a "tainted" build last night, but I ran into a build error
apparently related only to subversion checkouts, which might also be
particular to the target debian distribution / hardware support for some
esoteric reason according to what can be gleamed from google. So I went to
just download the release sources, but all of the mirrors were down for some
reason.

The error is related to a bison/flex build event, which for some reason
can't be completed by autotools or something... I figure it easier to just
go with the release sources as suggested (the relevant .c files are
pregenerated in the release trees)