This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable (union members and ctors)


Ross Ridge wrote:

I completely disagree.  Standards should primarily standardize existing
practice, not inventing new features.  New features should be created
by people who actually want and will use the features, not by some
disinterested committee.

First of all, I think you mean uninterested and not disinterested, indeed the ideal is that all committee members *should* be
disinterested, though this is not always the case.


But in fact I disagree fundamentally,

GCC has always been a place for experimenting with new features. Many of the new features in C99 had already been implemented GCC. Even in the cases where C99 standardized features differently, I think both GCC and Standard C benefited from the work done in GCC.

The history for C here does not apply to C++ in my opinion. Adding new features to a language like C++ is at this stage highly non-trivial in terms of getting a correct formal definition.

Ross Ridge


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]