Re: [patch,committed] Make Fortran maintainers "Non-Autopoiesis Maintainers"

At 09:40 PM 6/14/2007, Steve Kargl wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 08:48:22PM -0700, Brooks Moses wrote:
> I have no objection to this as a custom for GFortran, certainly -- I
> think it's a very good idea, and as a custom I very much support it.
> However, there have historically been reasonable exceptions to it.  In
> particular, I've committed several documentation patches without review,
> and I have seen a few small patches submitted by maintainers for
> comments rather than a formal review and then committed when there were
> no dissenting comments.  My understanding at the time was that these
> were entirely acceptable things to do; is this still true, or no?

As the Fortran maintainer the pre-approved your doc patches (and
Daniel's patches) I feel I should comment.  The gfortran docs
were in such a mess that neither you nor Danial could possibly
commit a change that would make the docs worse.  Well, I guess
you could have, but your previous involvement in the mailing list
suggested otherwise.

Indeed -- but my impression was that, when I became a maintainer, that explicit pre-approval was no longer needed. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Though I guess it does amount to the same thing in practice -- if you hadn't encouraged me to commit documentation patches without troubling people for reviews of each one, then I would have assumed once I became a maintainer that I should continue to request reviews of the documentation patches I proposed, and would have done so.

I haven't looked at the guidelines for this new category in that
I doubt it will change the day-to-day interaction of the gfortran
developers.  In general, we ask for reviews when necessary and
commit obvious fixes as they arise.  In my 4+ years of hacking on
gfortran, I cannot recall a single dispute among the developers.
Sure, there's been disagreement, but not dispute.

Oh, definitely. That's sort of why I wanted to comment on this; insofar as this is documenting the status quo, that's a good thing, but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't setting up a situation where people in the rest of the GCC community would expect us to follow more rigid rules than we actually do.

- Brooks