Re: Please fork soft-fp from libc

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 09:36:46AM -0700, Joe Buck wrote:
The FSF has objected in the past to any discussions of forking glibc. RMS
would (I believe) argue that what you're talking about is a glibc bug and
glibc should fix it, we shouldn't fork the routine to work around it.

It can hardly be considered a glibc bug when GCC changed this incompatibly a year ago, up to GCC 4.1.x inclusive __eqtf2 etc. used SItype (i.e. int on all architectures glibc cares about).

That said, as none of the routines in question
({eq,ge,le,unord}[sdxt]f2) are actually used by sparc32/sparc64/alpha that
use glibc soft-fp code, I guess using CMPtype in those routines doesn't
hurt. I believe --without-fp ppc support in ports is 32-bit only as well
and therefore doesn't care either.
But certainly it must not be defined to int __attribute__ ((mode (word))),
because Andreas Krebbel is actively trying to get rid of that attribute.
Each sfp-machine.h can define CMPtype instead.
I belive that by changing mentioned typedef line of soft-fp.h into

#ifndef CMPtype
#define CMPtype         int
#endif

would satisfy everybody. Is this acceptable for glibc?

Thanks,
Uros.