Re: libjava is a train wreck.

On Jun 5, 2007, at 9:40 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
Steve Kargl writes:
Can someone explain why libjava *must* commit binary files to the
repository?  A merge of trunk to the fortran-experiments branch
generated 70 conflicts that I need to resolve.  This is a complete
waste of time that would have been spent towards cutting a diff
of the branch against trunk for patch submission!

In addition to David Daney's comments, I don't really understand why you've got conflicts on your branch. You won't have changed anything in libjava/ there, so the problem shouldn't arise.

I agree. I do lots of merges, including 4.2 merging and trunk merging that included all the recent binary files in libjava. A conflict as you describe (barring the integration of the fortran runtime with the java runtime) means that you asked it to do something non-sensical, or some other fundamental problem. You should seek to understand it, and then `fix' it. I'd be happy to help you out.

The first step to tracking it down is to examine the end of the last merge and the start of the merge that produced the conflicts. Either, they are the exact same string with a version number, or a tag that was unchanged, or, a diff between the two should yield the empty set. I'd check that first. You can diff any file that conflicted that should not have to understand what went wrong. The best file to do would be a ChangeLog file, as it is self-describing.