Re: Signed int overflow behavior in the security context

Paul Schlie wrote:

The root of this discussion was based on whether or not GCC's relatively
aggressive assumption that an undefined behavior gave it the reasonable
and useful right to presume that any expression which may be interpreted
as having undefined semantics may be presumed to either mystically never
or always occur depending on it's whim, regardless of practical reality.

Right, that's what the standard says, and what programmers should expect, and what compilers typically do in practice when optimizing
at the highest level

Overall, it would seem there should be a more practical and consistent basis applied.

Use of the passive implies some general consensual agreement to the statement. I know you, Paul, think this is the case, but I don't see even the beginnings of a consensus, and of the C standards committee disagrees with this approach.