Re: [RFC] Our release cycles are getting longer

Marcin> Just forget ADA and Java in mainstream. Both of them are seriously
Marcin> impeding casual contributions.

We tried this once for libgcj.  We had gcj in the tree (small amount
of code, couldn't really bother anybody) but not libgcj.  My
recollection is that GCC changes broke libgcj quite frequently.

So at least form a gcj maintenance point of view, this would be a big
loss.

Perhaps there's some way to split the difference.  There are already
classes of patches which do not require a java build.

Marcin> The build setup through autoconf/automake/autogen/m4/..... has
Marcin> problems in this area as well.

Auto* frustrates even me from time to time.  The reason I don't do
anything about it, though, is that it would be a *lot* of work, and,
most likely, very boring work at that.  And, in the end, it is hard to
imagine that the payoff would be very big (well, removing libtool
would have a nice payoff.  But that looks hard).  I assume that
reasons like this apply to all the other developers.

Tom