why Winit-self (was Re: proposal to clean up @node Warning Options in invoke.texi)

On 11 Jan 2007 02:08:48 +0100, Gabriel Dos Reis
<gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
I'm well aware of the history of "-Winit-self".  The issue is more
subtile that you would like to make it appear. You would have to study
more carefully the threads relating to this issue.  If you dig the
archive, you should be able to find example of

circular_buffer buf = buf;

[ or void* p = &p; ]

Sorry for being so slow but I don't get it. neither Winit-self nor Wuninitialized warn for void *p=&p; so how that example justifies the existence of Winit-self ?

Anyway, we are way off-topic here, but I am truly interested on how
the current situation was reached so I changed the subject. If still
this thread is too off-topic for gcc, I would be glad if you wished to
finish it by private email.

Cheers,

Manuel.