Re: We have no active maintainer for the i386 port

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We currently do not have an active maintainer for the i386 port.  The
> only listed maintainer for the port is rth, and he hasn't been around
> to approve patches in a while.   This situation is a bit strange for
> a port that IMHO is one of the most important ports GCC has...
>
> In the mean time, patches don't get approved (see e.g. [1]), or they
> get approved by middle-end maintainers who, strictly speaking, should
> not be approving backend patches, as I understand it.

Just to clarify, middle-end maintainers *do* have the ability to approve
patches in the config/ directory for any target.  We expect them to use
their own judgement as to whether they are qualified for a particular
backend.  It's the same trust we place in global write maintainers who may
not be familiar with every single backend out there but nevertheless are
"allowed" to approve any patch in the tree.

Here's the original announcement creating the position:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-10/msg00455.html

> So, can the SC please appoint a new/extra i386 port maintainer?

I completely agree we need one or more new x86 maintainers.  We are
already discussing the issue, hopefully you'll see something posted soon.

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu