Re: Closing the GCC 4.0 branch (was: Build snapshots according to a more regular schedule)

Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> writes:

| On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:02:00PM -0500, Andrew Pinski wrote:
| > >
| > > [ omitting gcc-patches ]

| > > If there is consensus, I'll be happy to take the appropriate steps,
| > > which include:
| > >
| > >  1. Updating our web pages
| > >  2. Sending a notification to the gcc list
| > >  3. Running a final snapshot (so that we have a tarball matching
| > >     the head of that tree)
| > >  4. Stopping the snapshot mechanism
| > >
| > > How about waiting ten days, say, see whether anyone has substantial
| > > objections, and proceed as noted above?  (We are usually operating
| > > on Internet time, but giving people more than a week is fair, I think.)
| >

| > I am willing to be the release manager for 4.0.4 if nobody else
| > steps up to the base for this.
|
| I think it would be great to have more people have the experience of being
| release manager.

I agree.

| We haven't heard from Gaby, who handled 4.0.3.

I just noticed that part of the discussion has been moved to gcc@.
I answered in

| The SC will need to discuss what to do; it has to approve a 4.0.4 release
| and an RM.  My personal preference would be as follows:
|
| - One final 4.0.4 release, with a very conservative approach; either just ship
|   what's already there on 4_0-branch or be extremely cautious about
|   backporting a very limited number of fixes.
|
| - After the release (and a couple of days to allow for "brown paper bag"
|   syndrome), close all bugs that are open only because of 4.0 (there are
|   lots of "4.0 regression" bugs that aren't in 4.1/2/3) and close the
|   branch.

I wholeheartly agree with that.  I cannot do anything that require key
signing for GCC releases before end of next week from where I'm
composing this message.  Consequently, if you need a release next week
I'm very glad to see Andrew take over the 4.0.x branch.

By the time I get back home I should be able to take over 4.1.x.

-- Gaby