Re: Do we want non-bootstrapping "make" back?

> Once upon a time, the --disable-bootstrap configure option wasn't
> necessary.  "make" built gcc, and "make bootstrap" bootstrapped it.
>
> Is this behavior useful?  Should we have it back again?

Is this a genuine question or some subtle attempt at mimicing Paul Eggert's
cleverness to spark your own gigantic thread? :-)  Certainly, doing a mere
build with "make" and a complete bootstrap with "make bootstrap" was rather
reasonable, but you and other build machinery wizards convinced us that this
would be a pain to support with toplevel bootstrap.  So what has changed?

--
Eric Botcazou