Re: changing "configure" to default to "gcc -g -O2 -fwrapv ..."

> More important, we don't yet have an easy way to characterize the
> cases where (2) would apply.  For (2), we need a simple, documented
> rule that programmers can easily understand, so that they can easily
> verify that C code is safe

I'm not sure what you mean: there's the C standard.  That says exactly
what you are allowed to rely on and what you can't.  That's the "rule that
programmers can easily understand".  The fact that we choose to avoid
breaking as much code as possible that DOESN'T follow that rule doesn't
mean we want to encourage people to write more code like that in the
future: in fact quite the contrary.