Do we want non-bootstrapping "make" back?

Once upon a time, the --disable-bootstrap configure option wasn't
necessary.  "make" built gcc, and "make bootstrap" bootstrapped it.

Is this behavior useful?  Should we have it back again?

The trivial implementation is to build separate makefiles using the
existing sed magic and have the non-bootstrap one as default, with a
bootstrap: target that forwards to make -f Makefile.boot.  Obviously
better implementations are possible, and if you mix and match targets
then strange things may happen, but that was true beforehand.  Anyway,
that would let us eliminate the configure-time decision - if there's
a convincing reason to do so.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery