Re: gpl version 3 and gcc

> And in any case, why should it be off-topic? I would think that the
> possibility of your project being divided in two would be of great concern
> to you guys, and that you'd have every single motivation to convey any sort
> of apprehension that you might have about such a split to the group that
> could prevent it. After all - lots of you are putting a great effort into
> GNU software basically gratis...

Lots of very intelligent people have been working a very long time on gplv3.
A number of people with an interest in GCC have seen drafts of it many months
ago (including me) and have made comments on particular pieces of language in
that draft (again, including me).  You can be assured that none of these
people would want to have the updated GPL cause a fork in any development
project.

But the purpose of this list is to have *technical* discussions about GCC.
The issue of what license the FSF will choose to put GCC under is not a
*technical* issue and hence is off-topic for this list.  The formal
description of the list is "for general development discussions about
GCC. Anything relevant to the development or testing of GCC and not covered
by other mailing lists is suitable for discussion here."  Discussion of the
GPL belong in gnu.misc.discuss and hence is covered by another mailing list
and off-topic for this list.