Re: regenerating reliably GCC configure files

Le Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:00:21PM -0500, David Fang écrivait/wrote:
> > I am not sure to understand what is the *reliable* way to regenerate
> > GCC configure files from the real (human typed) master source files
> > (like Makefile.in, gcc/configure.ac, Makefile.tpl, etc...)
> >
> > I made some suggestions on the Wiki
> >
> >   http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/AboutGCCConfiguration
> >

> > Again, feel free to edit the above page (and/or incorporate parts of
> > it into the documentation).
>
> Hi,
> <feedback>
> 	My initial reaction is "Why title the page \"About GCC
> Configuration\"" when the first line says it's about something else.  I
> recommend a title like "... Configure auto-generation" or "...
> regeneration".  You can still explain the distinction in the introduction,
> since people still often mistake the procedures.
> 	Some links to download the required versions of the autotools
[...]

A big thanks to David Fang for his comment. I just updated the wiki.

But I still cannot figure out how to regenerate *reliably* (and in a
reproductible way) the various configure scripts in the source tree
from the master files.

the script in http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2006-11/msg00587.html don't
work (macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES' not found)

The steps
   autogen Makefile.def
   autoconf2.13
   cd gcc
   autoheader-2.59
   autoconf-2.59

seems to work now but I remember?having gotten the imfamous macro
`AM_LC_MESSAGES' not found error

what is the exact role of the autom4te.cache/ directories (I thought
that these are cache -only to speedup things- directories which are
not in the distribution and can be removed)?

Are autoreconf scripts harmful or unneeded?

How do configuration experts regenerate the configure scripts?  I wish
it could be completely documented, or be a script under contrib/

By experience, sometimes autoconf-2.xx has to be run twice. When?

It seems that it is not possible to have some compiler options (like
-f* to gcc) disabled by --disable-* or --without-*?flags because the
common.opt file doesn't have any "conditionals"

Regards