Re: expanding __attribute__((format,..))

On Nov 10, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

"Nuno Lopes" <nunoplopes@sapo.pt> writes:

I've been thinking that it would be a good idea to extend the current
__attribute__((format,..)) to use an arbitrary user callback.
I searched the mailing list archives and I found some references to
similar ideas. So do you think this is feasible?

I think it would be nice. We usually founder

I think that a 20% solution would handle 95% of the cases. :-)

__attribute((extra_formats, "AB"))

for example. Easy to use, easy to describe, handles things well enough to keep people happy for 10 years. The next version after this would be comprehensive enough to handle describing the values and the types, the checking rules and the rules and the warning/ error messages to generate.