Re: Threading the compiler

Le Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 01:33:42PM -0800, Sohail Somani écrivait/wrote:

> I don't think it can possibly hurt as long as people follow normal C++
> coding rules.
>
> The main issue is not really language choice though. The main issues
> would likely be defining data to be isolated enough to be useful to do
> work in parallel.

I see the following issues

first (once parsing is done) we could (at least in non-inter-procedural
phases & passes, which might be common, in particular in -O1 or maybe -O2)
handle in parallel different functions inside a C compilation unit.

Another trick (particularily in LTO) could be to store persistently some
internal representation for each function (within a compilation unit) and to
recall it if the compiler notice that a given function did'nt change.

However, for multi-threading the compiler, a significant issue might be the
internal GCC garbage collector (I'm not sure it is easily multi-threadable).

I'm not familiar enough with actual gcc timing to be sure all this would
really speedup compilation time.

I'm not pretending to volunteer the multi-threading effort, because I am not
yet familiar enough with GCC internals....

My 0.02 euros!

Regards.

email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net
mobile: +33 6 8501 2359