Re: Threading the compiler

On 2006-11-10, at 22:33, Sohail Somani wrote:

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:46 -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 12:38:07PM -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
How many hunks do we need, well, today I want 8 for 4.2 and 16 for
mainline, each release, just 2x more. I'm assuming nice, equal sized
hunks. For larger variations in hunk size, I'd need even more hunks.

Or, so that is just an off the cuff proposal to get the discussion
started.

Thoughts?

Will use C++ help or hurt compiler parallelism? Does it really matter?

My 2c.

I don't think it can possibly hurt as long as people follow normal C++
coding rules.

Contrary to C there is no single general coding style for C++. In fact for a project
of such a scale this may be indeed the most significant deployment problem for C++.

Lots of threads communicating a lot would be bad.

This simply itsn't true. The compiler would be fine having many threads handling a
lot of data between them in a pipelined way. In fact it already does just that,
however without using the opportunity for paralell execution.

Marcin Dalecki