A weirdness in fortran/lang.opt, c.opt, and "cc1 --help".

There's something weird going on with Fortran's -ffixed-line-length options, and in how the lang.opt files get processed to produce the --help results from cc1 (and cc1plus, f951, etc.).

Specifically, the fortran/lang.opt file contains the following lines:

ffixed-line-length-none
Fortran RejectNegative
Allow arbitrary character line width in fixed mode

ffixed-line-length-
Fortran RejectNegative Joined UInteger
-ffixed-line-length-<n>	   Use n as character line width in fixed mode

These are, so far as I know, quite definitely Fortran-specific concepts, and thus the options only make sense in Fortran. However, there are also the following rather mysterious lines in c.opt:

ffixed-line-length-none
C ObjC

ffixed-line-length-
C ObjC Joined

Thus, when one runs "cc1 --help" or "f951 --help", these lines of documentation show up under the C section, not under the Fortran section.

As best I can tell, these options are not actually handled in C or ObjC; grepping for OPT_ffixed in the gcc directory only finds the handling of the global "-ffixed-*" option in opts.c. And there's no mention of them in the GCC manual.

Thus: Are these lines in c.opt irrelevant, or do they do something meaningful? Should they be there at all? If I introduce some other options starting with "ffixed", do I need to add similar lines for them in c.opt?

- Brooks