Re: Bootstrap failure on trunk on linux? (libgmp.so.3 exists, but not found)

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 10:57:14AM -0800, Brooks Moses wrote:
I've been setting up a Debian box to do builds on, and make bootstrap on mainline is failing somewhere in the middle of Stage 1. The problem appears to be that it's not looking in the right places for libgmp.so.3 when it calls ./gcc/xgcc at the end of the stage.

It's doing exactly what it ought to, though unintuitive. If you tell a -compiler to use L/usr/local/lib, you're responsible for also setting up either an rpath or LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point at /usr/local/lib; doing it by default causes all kinds of problems.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I was assuming that since GMP is supposedly only a prerequisite for building the compiler and not for using it, that it was being linked in statically rather than dynamically. But I guess that wouldn't apply to xgcc, since it's only used in the build (right?).

- Brooks