Re: Even stricter implicit conversions between vectors

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 19:02, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Mark Shinwell wrote:
> > What do others think?
>
> My only concern is that we have tons of customers with tons of code
> and you don't have any and that you break their code.  I don't have
> any idea if this would be the case or not, I don't usually do the
> vector bugs.

We're adding a new vector target, so have the opposite concern. We want to
prevent sloppy code from ever appearing. Other toolchains implementing the
ARM NEON extensions disallow these conversions, so allowing them in gcc is
not advantageous. I've been told by contacts at ARM that they believe there
is value in strict checking of vector types.

I've no idea if there are significant quantities of code out there that rely
on implicit conversions.

Paul