Re: GCC 4.2 branch created; mainline open in Stage 1

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> I don't understand yet how the next steps for 4.2 will look like; will
> there be further snapshots (ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/snapshots/) of the
> 4.2 branch, or will the next snapshots be only for 4.3?

The GCC 4.2 snapshots will now track the 4.2 release branch, and GCC 4.3
snapshots will be made from our mainline development tree.

So, going forward we will release snapshots of GCC 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

I will probably reshuffle the days of the weeks the snapshots are built a
bit, and I don't know how long we'll do snapshots for GCC 4.0, but for the
time being it's these four snapshots a week.

> We would like to re-test our ARM, PowerPC and MIPS trees with the latest
> compilers against well known revisions, in order to have a chance to
> submit further bugs and/or patches before the release - or shall we
> better test against svn?

Testing against SVN may be better in that you do not depend on the weekly
snapshots.  You just have to remember the revision your tests are based
on.  This you can get via "svn info".

Gerald