Re: FW: How does GCC implement dynamic binding?

Michael Eager wrote:
Lacefield, Greg (CNS COE) wrote:

Given all this, I posed this question to the gcc mailing list and
received a reply that directed me to the C++ ABI
(http://codesourcery.com/cxx-abi/), which is more detailed and has the
information I'm looking for.  However, I need to confirm, in the case of
an FAA audit, that GCC 3.3.1 implements dynamic binding in this fashion.
Can anyone on the steering committee "officially" confirm that GCC uses
static v-tables as described in the ABI?

You should read the GPL license (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html) under which GCC is distributed. In particular see Paragraph 11, under the large heading "NO WARRANTY".

I question whether you will find anyone who would be willing to affirm
that GCC has any specific behavior if such a certification were intended
to provide a guarantee or warranty, or if there was any expectation
that there was any assumption of liability for GCC's failure to
perform as indicated.

Perhaps you are right, but it would not surprise me if there were commercial entities based around FOSS that would provide that type of support.

David Daney